Nurses Eating Their Young

Please log in or register to participate.

Home Forums Tribe Talk Nurses Eating Their Young

This topic contains 14 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  GypsyRN 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Am I weird to say it feels like Hazing?

something else? Thoughts?

I personally feel I have become more assertive/stronger from my experiences because it forces me to stand up for myself so can’t complain but it is an interesting topic that I’m still trying to understand cuz I have those “WTF“ moments every now and then lol

For me, i can understand making a RN stand on their own two feet. I have a problem when it comes to letting the RN drown and the patients suffer. I have seen a charge RN let a a nurse give a drug that slowed HR, the patient had a bad reaction and coded. After the incident the charge RN began stating that she should have done this and this, she should have know not to mix this and that drug. This was in a critical care setting, with the intensivst yelling orders. The RN did what the Dr. Said, it just didnt turn out well. That is NOT ok, and to sit back and talm crap about the RN and never educate them on these things you say they should know, how can they expect them to get better ?

Should not be allowed. It’s a form of bullying and is unacceptable behavior- period.
    As an old nurse I support mentoring not breaking down new nurses.
    Any senior nurse who does this is insecure and burned out.
    If I was her manager… I’d Manager her out the door..

With respect to the ICU nurse making the mistake as an intensivist was barking orders – it is not the physicians job to ensure the nurses around him/her are educated enough to do their job properly. The nursing staff and floor manager should have picked up on the lack of knowledge and intervened in a respectable manner. An ICU is a place that allows a great deal on nurse autonomy that many nurses aren’t comfortable with having – at our hospitals, NURSES tell the managers when they finally feel comfortable enough to work solo.

As for nurses eating their young I feel its a lot to do with a tradition that should be checked at the door. A ‘right of passage’ so to speak. How do you learn, effectively, if your mentor only cares about throwing you in to see if you sink or swim? That is a good way to pick up very bad habits.

“That is a good way to pick up very bad habits”! Live2learn…I LOVE this!
    Yes, indeed. Check it at the door.
    Not an effective way to teach. Not an effective way to heal. Not an effective way to “sort”. Not an effective way to determine who is/is not above capability and mastering the art and science. Not.Fcking.Effective.
    I love my nurses. The horror stories of the education process for this priceless asset in health care is ignorant, unnecessary, and NOT just to upcoming nurses OR their patients. Bad habits, for sure. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Super interesting. Believe it or not I do feel like since there has been that blood sweat and tears – it makes me feel even more pride like I’ve put so much into it there’s no way to stop now (plus I do love nursing in general). But I’ve never had a situation where patient safety was compromised like that so if it gets to that extreme I am not sure how I would respond! Like with what Green Bay91 said, talk about learning the hard way! Yikes, I’m curious how the nurse responded, did he or she stay? There’s already a huge weed out process in nursing school, and then to think about yet ANOTHER kind of weed out (from what I hear a huge % of new grads quit the first year, I’ve heard 20% up to 60%) so … #nursingshortage

Our unit has had a terrible problem with it. Yes, it’s ansolutely hazing. I even called it that. I’ve been there 15 years now. This is no excuse, and it shouldnt be tolerated, but I think in our case the worst offenders were unhappy with their jobs, because most of the people who were cruel to me have now long since moved on to other things–usually a master’s degree and a job with little patient care.

Excellent group for this problem.

My Masters and Doctoral thesis was dine on Healthcare negativity, bullying, perceptions, and more.

-Dr Mark Carlson

This is absolutely still an issue. And it’s not just nurses. Experienced CNAs can be super harsh to younger/newer RNs. I think it totally depends on the environment and how it’s handled (IF it’s handled). It’s bullying, and there is no justification for it. Unfortunately, nurse managers are already overwhelmed with everything they’re expected to do and seem to not really have time to handle these types of issues. Unless it gets escalated to HR or hospital ethics hotline, it mostly gets ignored in my experience.

When I transferred to ICU after being a floor nurse for two years, I was bullied so bad that I left work crying after every shift and called in several times within about a month because I HATED going to work only to feel like a failure. The last straw was when we had a patient who was sick mind you but not crashing/coding or anything close to that. I went to go push reglan through the PICC while on the phone with a dr trying to take orders and play middle man between phone doc and doc at the bedside. I flushed the line and right as I screwed the reglan onto the port and started to push – my preceptor literally JUMPED across the patient bed, ripped the reglan Out of my hands, pushed it and YELLED “you need to learn how to push things FASTER!” Unscrewed the syringe and threw it at me!!!

I couldn’t do anything but walk out of the room. Mind you the doc was still on the phone the whole time… and of course asked me if someone just yelled at me. Cool.

Thank goodness this was close to the end of the shift. So I just went and finished charting in a back corner for the next hour so I could gather myself and cool down and get the hell out of there. Of course she decided to stroll on up to me with a snarky ass smirk on her face to say “see, things can get pretty tense in the ICU!”

I. Lost. My. Shit. I did stand up for myself finally at that moment AWAY from patients and doctors. Not my proudest moment but I didn’t now what else to do!

how the HELL do other nurses think that this is OK to act towards another? If I would have been a brand new nurse I’m sure I would have just quit that day.

I hear you all! Not to start a “tit for tat”. It’s the same in EMS, can be high stress, quick pace and unfortunately not all of our students or junior staff get the benefit of a patient senior partner to mentor and guide. I believe it to be systemic in health care.

It’s absolutely awful to see and worse to try and pick up the pieces in between. We can only change things one person at a time. Take care of yourself and try to guide the new staff as a mentor you’d have liked to have when you were juniors.

Anyone experience bullying by younger nurses towards older(seasoned) nurses? I’m finding this happening in the ER.

My instructor said I would run into these kind of nurses, which would be unfortunate. She said keep your head up and learn not to be like them…her saying “never ask a CNA to do something that you wouldn’t do because your CNA can make or break you!”

I don’t get it….I really don’t. I don’t understand the need to make another person feel bad or uncomfortable. Lift each other up.

I try to remind myself that people who treat others like this are just unhappy with themselves. I’m happy with myself and my life and find no pleasure in treating others poorly. Those who do, often do so to make themselves feel better. Take pity on them. I’ve honestly found that when you show these people kindness (while still standing your ground…you aren’t a doormat!), they tend to let their guard down a little. Don’t put up with their shit, don’t be a doormat, but also try to extend an olive branch when you have the opportunity. Sometimes they can be nice people underneath the mean exterior.

If they can’t play nice after all that, then hold your head high and know that you are the bigger person for trying.

I agree w/ you, GypsySoul…as a traveler who seen bullying, etc.. at different facilities I look at it this way: the bully/mean people were unhappy people before travelers got there/while we are there/and will be unhappy long after I’m/we are gone. Most want a knee jerk reaction to their bully comments/actions so they if/when you report them it lets them divert attention from *their* behavior by talking about your knee jerk reaction. Hard as it is at times I avoid knee jerking when a bully acts out. I’ve met some amazing people (new/young nurses and seasoned ones) in my travels who I really miss when I move on to other assignments but there have been a handful of miserable ones who I am glad that I won’t have to work with anymore. It’s also easier to stay out of the politics/drama/clique-ish behavior when you are only there 13 weeks at a time!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.